This is a Japenese method to catch a fish highly regarded in Japan, the Black Bream. It has a similarity to methods used here in the UK, that being ground baiting.
The Dango method of catching Black Bream is as follows.
- The DANGO is a ball of ground bait containing the hook bait which is attached to a float, The bait ball prevents smaller fish from taking the hook bait
- The DANGO is thrown in to the sea and goes to the sea bed with the float almost sub-surface.
- As the DANGO breaks down it attracts the fish by ground baiting.
- In Japan the DANGO is made from rice bran, red clay, bean curd, or commercial ground bait mix.
- The hook bait will become free and then you just wait until a fish takes.
A DANGO could be made from bran, bread flakes, sand and pulped fish and I think this method would work well for Mullet.
For more information look at this link – Dango fishing